Jul 9, 2017

Day of the Dead Masks

 My grade 5 students created these masks a couple of years ago. I plan to do them again this year as they turned out really well and the kids really enjoyed making them. This project was inspired by this post from 'Scrumdilly-Do', where you can also find instructions.

During the Mexican celebration of the Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos), decorative or edible skulls or 'calaveras' are made from either sugar or clay. Small sugar skulls represent the children who have passed away, while the larger sugar skulls represent the adults. These celebrations take place over the 1st and 2nd of November and it is believed that the departed return home to enjoy the offering on the alter.

I had my students fold their paper plate in half to draw the shape of the skull so that once cut ot the shape would be symmetrical. We also discussed symmetry of design. After discussing the origins and traditions surrounding sugar skulls or calaveras, I provided many images of traditional Mexican designs on skulls to inspire student's own designs. We drew in pencil and coloured with textas (felt tip markers).

I also gave the option of using metallic pens and I think this year I will also make jewels and sequins available to them. Students may also choose to decorate the popstick handle which is taped to the back of each mask.



27 comments:

  1. The brand has a great selection of masks for kids. One of the top choices is the Onzie Unisex Kids Reusable Face Masks
    face mask n95

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post with informative content. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so bravely and depth information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! This is just amazing! Not just high quality, however additionally valuable info. And that is rare to come by nowadays!

    ReplyDelete

  6. I wan’t going to comment as this posts a bit old now, but just wanted to say thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to to thank you for this good read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this piece of information. I really enjoyed it. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is the best way to share the great article with everyone one, so that everyone can able to utilize this information

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was impressed by your writing. Your writing is impressive. I want to write like you

    ReplyDelete
  11. An outstanding post! This guide gives me all the info, I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What’s up, everything is going nicely in this blog here, keep up writing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We truly dearly loved examining this web site. Thanks for this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful items from you, You’re making it entertaining blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This type of clever blog work and coverage! Keep up the great works

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your vision and insight have left a deep impression on me.

    ReplyDelete


  17. I request you warmly, please, don’t ever stop writing

    ReplyDelete

  18. We are really grateful for this blog post. Absolutely a Great work

    ReplyDelete


  19. Great post Thank you. I look forward to the continuation

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very great post. I just stumbled upon this blog and its excellent point.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I truly loved browsing this blog posts. Wonderful site you have here! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  22. Efficiently written information.. Keep up the good work. Continue this

    ReplyDelete
  23. For certain I will review out more posts. Keep on sharing dude, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a great article, Wish you would write more. good luck for more!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the right blog. Great stuff you have here, just great! Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete


  26. Im obliged for the blog post. really cool

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...